Bible Study

Read the Sermon Notes and Listen to the Full Sermon


June 9, 2019

The Mystery of the Gospel

Ephesians 6:18-20
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—
19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,
20. for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak

Main Topics/Questions

Please consider the following topics/questions as you listen to the sermon:
1. What is the mystery of the gospel? What is one reason people didn't understand the gospel when Jesus came to earth the first time?
2. How far back does the mystery of the gospel go? What happened in the beginning?
3. What is God’s plan of salvation?
4. What is the relationship of what God told the serpent in Genesis 3: 15 "And I will put hostility between you and the woman, between your seed and her Seed; He will crush your head, and you will strike His heel." and Romans 16:20 "And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.  Amen." written 4,000 years later?
5. In Genesis 3: 15, what is the significance of the words "her Seed"? How does this verse relate to Christ's crucifixion and what is the significance of the words "strike His heel"?

Related Texts
Genesis 12:1-3,
1  Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you..
3  I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the
2  I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing earth shall be blessed."

Genesis 18:18,
“… Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him.”

Questions Continued:

6. How will all the families of the earth be blessed through Abraham?
7. How does Abraham’s attempted sacrifice of Isaac point to Christ?
8. What is the significance of God repeating his promise to Abraham, then to Abraham's son Isaac, the to Isaac's son Jacob?
9. Why does the list of potential candidates who could be the promised seed who will bring this blessing narrow? In the mystery of the gospel, who is the ultimate authority?
10. How do the prophecies contained in the following verses from the Old Testament relate to Jesus?

1 Chronicles 17:11-14
11 And it shall be, when your days are fulfilled, when you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your seed after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom.
12 He shall build Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever.
13 I will be his Father, and he shall be My son; and I will not take My mercy away from him, as I took it from him who was before you.
14 And I will establish him in My house and in My kingdom forever; and his throne shall be established forever.

Psalm 22: 6-8; 16-18
6  But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised by the people.
7  All those who see Me ridicule Me; They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8  "He trusted in the LORD, let Him rescue Him; Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!"

16  For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet;
17  I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me.
18  They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.

Psalm 16:10
“you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.”

Conclusion:

These are the mysteries of the gospel of Jesus Christ. A mystery that has now been fully revealed in the New Testament. A mystery that is now fully revealed to you. Do you believe it? And if you do believe will you reveal this mystery to others?

Click on the player to listen to the full audio sermon.




If the player doesn't work, you can listen to the sermon on Google Drive.


Pray

Do you feel an emptiness in your life? Are you seeking answers but don't know where to look? Have you ever wondered if you are good enough? Please read the summary of the gospel message, "Four Things You Need to Know About God"

Please send an email to the Pastor if you have questions.

Life Verse

1 Peter 3:15, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear."

We fully affirm the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.